Thursday 9 August 2012

In Vientiane, I drunk with the mafia and spent days looking for a boat that did not exist.
In Luan Prabang, I ate my fill and was blessed by monks.
In Hong Sa I went to see elephants working, which isn't quite the same as saying that I did, and ended up being adopted by a local bussinesman.
I travelled up the Mekong for four days on a succession of slow boats, some considerably slower than others. In one we smuggled goods. I had to (almost literally) flag down another. Almost at the end of the trip I thought the pilot was going to sink his boat as he tried to land.
In Pak Beng, I found a town with no cheer, a bowl of free peanuts and a fever.
In Huai Xai, I made friends I will not see again, slept with people I did not know, (I'm pretty sure) I broke my nose, and said see you soon to Laos.

It was a roller coaster week - the highs epic, the lows vertiginous, a dozen times when it slowed down I thought I'd come across a dead end, when it picked up speed I thought it would go on forever. I'm pretty pleased with myself and my little trip and it's not half-bad being back in Thailand either.

No comments:

Post a Comment