Sunday 24 October 2010

Mocimboa da Praia

--

It was a week ago today when I invited the chief of police to the bar. It was a tiny place. The heat was intense. The beer was served boiling.

All the town had been warned of my arrival. The policeman had me in his nice little cage - I had to sing.

‘I lived for seventeen years in Cuba. It’s a great country. Its poorest soul owns a car, a radio and a Tv set, did you know that? The government says that at all times a man should have transport and access to information.’

‘Must be a great country,’ I agreed. ‘I read that Fidel has survived 600 attempts.’

‘He must have a great witch!’ He said. ‘I was there when his wife tried to kill him. Everywhere in the country we had flags at half-mast. Such a tragedy. Women, women are the cause for all the world’s problems. Women and money.’

‘Yeah? Maybe,’ and I took another swig. ‘But I wouldn’t want to live in a world without women.’

‘Women and money!’ My friend assured me. As if to prove a point, he called his wife saying he’d be late, told his mistress to meet him at the bar, flirted with the bartender, and took from me what little money I had left in my wallet.

But now, at least, I know what to look out for.

No comments:

Post a Comment